- 6 cups small potatoes (avoid baking [russet] potatoes as they don't hold up well)
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seed
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 Tablespoons ginger, minced
- 4 cloves peeled garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 11/2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 scant teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1-2 dried hot peppers, left whole
- Water as needed
Precook the potatoes in water (or in the microwave) until almost, but not quite, done. Drain thoroughly.
While the potatoes are cooking, saut the fenugreek seed in the oil on medium heat until light brown, being careful not to burn them. Add the onion and continue cooking for five minutes. Add the ginger and garlic and cook another five minutes. Add the spices and saut briefly to release their flavors. Add the tomato, the dried whole peppers, and a little water. Simmer until the flavors meld together.
Cook on medium heat for about 30 minutes. Gently add the potatoes, stir, and reduce heat. Cook until potatoes are tender, adding water if the sauce gets too dry. If the sauce is too runny, simply crush one of the potatoes to thicken it.