FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups International Tibet 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 RegisterRegister 

[EN] foreigners learning Tibetan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Tibet Forum Index -> Exchange and Creation / 交换与创造 / Echange et créations -> Various / 其它 / Divers

domanlai Reply with quote

Point(s): 63
Moyenne de points: 1.11

PostPosted: Tue 23 Dec - 16:03 (2008)    Post subject: [EN] foreigners learning Tibetan

Any experience of foreigners learning Tibetan and now able to speak it (and write it) at least basically ? Smile

Publicité

PostPosted: Tue 23 Dec - 16:03 (2008)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?

Beau Kharpo Reply with quote
Administrateur

Point(s): 918
Moyenne de points: 1.04

PostPosted: Tue 23 Dec - 16:09 (2008)    Post subject: [EN] foreigners learning Tibetan

euh... not me  Very Happy only learning now... but a famous teacher in France and friend of a famous teacher in Lhasa (Sangda Dorje) : Nicolas Tournadre
He wrote a book to learn Tibetan ü language...

PostPosted: Tue 23 Dec - 21:42 (2008)    Post subject: [EN] foreigners learning Tibetan

That's right : I have his teaching Tibetan book at home Smile
Well, he is what I will never be even in my craziest dreams : according to the book, he can speak 12 languages and several tibetan dialects !

How are you learning ?

Knowing this forum entices me to resume the study but i am in a situation where it is nearly impossible to follow something regularly even for a short time each time.

2 years ago I started to learn and found that mastering the characters so as to be able to read was extremely difficult for me (I found it much more difficult than Chinese). Now, I must say that i already forgot everything.

Can someone knowing Tibetan tell me if I can go on with learning even if my knowledge of the alphabet is very poor. I think it would be kind of motivating I I can go on with lessons rather than spending so much time before mastering the characters.

Administrateur

PostPosted: Sun 28 Dec - 01:40 (2008)    Post subject: [EN] foreigners learning Tibetan

I'm starting but it doesn't look too difficult. The system and the sounds are no too far away from some West languages. It needs to learn alphabet at first and chose only one dialect (for exemple, Tibetan standard, Ü Lhasa dialect). But the most important maybe is to talk with Tibetan people to use the language and remember.

PostPosted: Sun 28 Dec - 11:01 (2008)    Post subject: [EN] foreigners learning Tibetan

Don't know, it depends on people I guess.

I found the writing system quite difficult. Learning the letters is one thing, but learning all the combinations of letters together with diacrytic signs seemed to me very difficult as well as the prefixes ans suffixes, the compatibility between letters or not. It is not a simple prononciation code linked to one letter but many different cases incur a lot to memorize because it is just not like a simple alphetical logics. Many things are fixed and you must learn it is that way.

The introduction of the learning book writte by N Tournadre is dedicated to this and it has 50 pages.
I was quite relieved to learn (according to the same book) that Tibetan people learn as flws and that even for them it needs a quite very long time : they learn to spell syllables  during weeks even months before pronouncing full words and reading. They spell full texts until they master the syllabation and spelling and then start reading.

After 2/3 months (something like 15 min per day perhaps not everyday but quite regularly), I still could not really master the reading (i needed to check back again and again the pronounciation). This is why I said, i found it much more difficult that Chinese. But again, it might also be that my frame of mind was freer when I learnt Chinese compared to what it was when I started Tibetan.

basically, it is difficult for me to disconnect oral practice from reading (besides I don't like this way - i always enjoyed very much the capcity to read something). Considering that in any case travelling to Tibet is not something likely to happen in a short term, perhaps, it is better that i wait a little bit more until I have more time and learn again progressively.

My dream was to be able to speak and read something if i ever go overthere. Smile

Administrateur

PostPosted: Sun 28 Dec - 11:26 (2008)    Post subject: [EN] foreigners learning Tibetan

I think the problem is here: "After 3 months (something like 15 min per day)". To learn a language you need to take at less 1 or 2 hours everyday... Because the 5 first minuts are always unproductive...

PostPosted: Sun 28 Dec - 11:36 (2008)    Post subject: [EN] foreigners learning Tibetan

Well, it is not everybody who can spend 1 to 2 hours a day to learn a language. Even before I have a family life and a job which requires me to work when other rest at home, I did not have that much free time everyday. But for sure, it must help a lot.

I don't know what is the perfect way but I consider that spending regularly 15 to 30 min is much better than a full day only once upon a time. I did learn the basics of Chinese that way. Now, unfortunately, it is more like that i have no time at all. This is why, I will see later, probably. [besides I still need to improve my cantonese, family purpose so it is kind of priority ...]

But I never give up what I started so I should find a way Razz

Bod2008 Reply with quote

Masculin Vierge (24aoû-22sep) 鷄 Coq
Moyenne de points: 1.24

PostPosted: Tue 30 Dec - 08:33 (2008)    Post subject: [EN] foreigners learning Tibetan

domanlai wrote:
Well, it is not everybody who can spend 1 to 2 hours a day to learn a language. Even before I have a family life and a job which requires me to work when other rest at home, I did not have that much free time everyday. But for sure, it must help a lot.
I don't know what is the perfect way but I consider that spending regularly 15 to 30 min is much better than a full day only once upon a time. I did learn the basics of Chinese that way. Now, unfortunately, it is more like that i have no time at all. This is why, I will see later, probably. [besides I still need to improve my cantonese, family purpose so it is kind of priority ...]

But I never give up what I started so I should find a way Razz
Quote:

You seem to speak (or write?) chinese pu tong hua very well... Do you have chinese people in your friends? family?

PostPosted: Tue 30 Dec - 09:12 (2008)    Post subject: [EN] foreigners learning Tibetan

Well, China and Chinese was something I wanted to experience - no special reason to that. So I started to learn by myself and went to China where I worked some time.
Separately from the above stay in China, I knew a Chinese who became my husband so now it is also part of my life anyway.

Back to Tibetan, actually I have always been very interested by the non han cultures of China - especially Uyghur and Tibetan. At the beginning, I wanted to learn either Uyghur or Tibetan and then perhaps the second one later. I know Xinjiang better than Tibet because I have never been to the latter region. But resources to learn Tibetan are much more numerous than Uyghur  so I opted for Tibetan. And now I am more and more interested in Tibet culture also.

This is why I hope I will be able stick to my plan of learning standard Tibetan Smile
In the meantime, I will keep taking interest in this culture via other languages.

samantha Reply with quote

Point(s): 331
Moyenne de points: 1.00

PostPosted: Fri 11 Sep - 09:05 (2015)    Post subject: [EN] foreigners learning Tibetan

It's an amazing experience to learn such a hard langage like tibetan.
voyance mail gratuite

Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 22:34 (2017)    Post subject: [EN] foreigners learning Tibetan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    International Tibet Forum Index -> Exchange and Creation / 交换与创造 / Echange et créations -> Various / 其它 / Divers
Page 1 of 1

Choose Display Order
User Permissions

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Create a forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation
Skin Created by: Sigma12